The modern business world is one in which everybody is expected to be available 24/7 and it’s difficult to spend quality time with your loved ones. Susan Reid, a professor and former entrepreneur, recently wrote an article for Forbes outlining her top tips for creating a better work-life balance.
- Align your professional vision with your personal life – Have an honest conversation with your loved ones about your business aspirations and how they fit in with your relationships. Friends and family can help you stay on track, but they can also let you know if your personal life is suffering as a result.
- Create your own quiet – Reid recommends taking time out to meditate in order to create some peace and quiet in your life. In addition to cultivating a sense of calm, meditation can help you put things into perspective for better decision-making.
- Make time for play – A busy lifestyle often means you spend most of your time with your co-workers and your partner and kids. It’s important to branch out for external stimulus, such as a hobby, a sport, or simply spending time with different friends.
- Create ways to connect with your family – If you’re finding it hard to spend meaningful time with your loved ones, consider scheduling activities with them, or be spontaneous. Go for a walk, have your friends over for dinner, or make a point of reading to your kids before bed.
- Get a mascot – Having a pet is a great way to create a calm environment at home. It takes devotion to raise them, but they’re always going to be happy to see you when you walk through the door at the end of a long day. If animals aren’t an option, consider a plant.
Read the original article at onforb.es/1pGJZjK