Sun-starved Brits are missing overseas travel so much that they are even relishing the prospect of queuing at airport security, getting lost on foreign roads and waiting ages for stragglers to join their transfer coach.
Although the list of the 50 most-missed aspects of holidays is dominated by feelgood things – like warm evenings, amazing views, exciting excursions and fantastic food – there were some highly unusual choices.
These included packing and doing the holiday washing when you get home.
With one in four admitting that not being able to go away has even made them miss things they used to complain about.
A survey of 2,000 adults, found that Spain, Italy and New York are the top three destinations Brits can’t wait to escape to when restrictions lift.
Almost two thirds of Brits have missed out on a foreign trip this year.
Rhiannon Heap, a spokesperson from New York Bakery Co., who commissioned the survey, said: “We know people are missing all sorts of things when it comes to trips abroad – whether that’s flying over to America or dashing across Europe.
“People are missing the sights, sounds and tastes of different cultures and food is one of the biggest contributors to having an authentic experience. Gelato in Italy, Paella in Spain or Bagels in New York.”
Travellers miss having time to properly relax, trying new food and seeing the sights of a new location.
Almost guaranteed sunshine, having some me-time and being able to eat when and what you want also featured in the top 50.
And sightseeing and food top the list of things Brits love about travelling to a different country (51 per cent).
In fact, 58 per cent admitted to indulging in more food on holiday than at home. One in three Brits want to visit New York to try the bagels and 42 per cent would love to have a Gelato in Italy.
Nearly six in 10 (58 per cent) also can’t wait to immerse themselves in a different culture and have a really authentic experience.
Almost two thirds said they deliberately seek out local cuisine when they’re on holiday to ensure a truly authentic experience when exploring a new city.
The survey, conducted by One Poll, went on to reveal almost a quarter (23 per cent) have tried to recreate a holiday experience at home during the pandemic.
Top things Brits miss most about travelling
1. Warm evenings
2. Seeing amazing views
3. Having something to look forward to
4. Having time to properly relax
5. Trying new food
6. Seeing the sights of a new city
7. The guaranteed sun
8. Authentic food
9. Having some me-time
10. Eating what I want when I want
11. The wave of heat when you get off the plane
12. Sunbathing by a pool
13. Going on excursions
14. Meeting people of different cultures
15. Seeing the hotel for the first time
16. Getting a tan
17. The excitement at the airport
18. Getting immersed in different cultures
19. Getting dressed up for the evening
20. Getting through a good book in peace
21. Packing your bag
22. The smell of sun cream/aftersun
23. Having unlimited food
24. A cold shower after a sweaty beach day
25. Taking holiday pictures and sharing on social media
26. Getting a beverage on the plane
27. Getting through the other end of airport security
28. Showing off your tan when you come home
29. Trying out a new language
30. Tracking which countries you are flying over
31. Testing out the perfumes in duty free
32. Cocktails for breakfast
33. The familiarity of checking for (and finding) your passport/boarding pass
34. Reserving a spot by the pool with your towel before breakfast
35. Hotel dressing gown and slippers
36. Wincing at an incredibly strong local alcohol shot
37. When your suitcase is the last bag to come off the plane
38. Getting lost on unfamiliar foreign roads
39. Getting used to driving a car on the wrong side of the road
40. Getting sand absolutely everywhere
41. Not being able to understand the language
42. The long car drive to the airport
43. Getting picked out of the crowd to join in with the hotel entertainment
44. When a postcard to a friend arrives weeks after you get back home
45. The queue at airport security
46. Waiting on the transfer coach for over an hour for everyone to get on
47. Battling with the sun lounger
48. The moment when your suitcase weighs too much
49. The t-shirt tan lines
50. Doing the holiday washing when you get home