Do you reach for a cup of coffee first thing in the morning? Have a coffee pod machine? Researchers have found up to 67 different types of bacteria lurking in those machines in offices and homes.
But don’t panic; the researchers from the University of Valencia says the bacteria was found in drip trays below used coffee pods, so the coffee pouring into your cup is perfectly safe.
Scientists analysed drip-tray samples from 10 Nespresso machines using different techniques, such as cultures and electron microscopy. The machines were used an average of two to 12 times a day.
The Daily Mail reports the following tips for keeping machines bacteria-free:
• Clean your machine regularly
• Run vinegar through it to sanitise surfaces
• Use filtered water rather than tap
• Change the water after each use
• Leave the lid off between uses to allow it to air out
• Wipe the machine down daily.
Read the original article at dailym.ai/1kI2Qrw