The signs you are trustworthy have been revealed – and include never being late, not cancelling plans at the last minute and being able to keep secrets.
Researchers who polled 2,000 adults identified the indicators someone can be relied upon – with being a good listener and a tendency to help others featuring on the list.
Someone who is self-aware, calm-headed, not judgemental, and always there when you need them is also likely to be worthy of trust.
Being respectful of boundaries is important too, as is adhering to the rules rather than breaking them.
Commissioned by technical outdoor brand Helly Hansen, as part of its ‘trust is earned’ campaign, the study found the typical adult trusts seven people.
But four in 10 think recent events have shown who is truly trustworthy.
The study found 85 per cent of adults consider themselves to be trustworthy people.
But those polled claimed to have had their trust broken on an average of 14 occasions since they became an adult.
This might explain why more than half find it difficult to trust other people and also why seven in 10 think once their trust has been broken it can never be restored.
However, a quarter said recent events have made them more willing to let bygones be bygones and forgive, while one in 10 believe they’ve become more trusting this year.
But, the Helly Hansen study carried out through OnePoll found a whopping 90 per cent agree trust is earned.
It also identified the most trustworthy people in society – with health professionals, namely doctors and nurses, coming out on top.
Those who work in fire and rescue came second, while dentists were third.
TOP 30 SIGNS OF TRUST
1. They are reliable
2. They aren’t manipulative
3. They don’t share things said in confidence with others
4. They are consistent in their behaviour
5. They have integrity
6. Their words and behaviour match up
7. They haven’t broken your trust before
8. They respect boundaries
9. They listen to you
10. You know them very well
11. They are considerate towards you
12. They are willing to help
13. They are considerate towards others
14. They have been in your life for a long time
15. They are authentic
16. They don’t cancel plans last minute
17. They aren’t judgemental
18. They tend to be rational
19. They trust you
20. They are transparent
21. They don’t have a temper
22. They give you emotional support
23. They are calm-headed
24. They follow the rules
25. They don’t go AWOL for days at a time and are there when you need them
26. They resolve conflict in a healthy way
27. They have self-awareness
28. They are never late
29. They make a positive difference to society /help others
30. You share their principles