Organising a function can be a time-consuming task, from selecting the venue and finding the right caterer, to handpicking the ultimate entertainment, it’s a busy time for an assistant. Nicky Brown, director of Arctic Fox Events, shares her top tips to ensure your event is a roaring success.
It’s the start of the year and your to-do list is looking out of control – events to plan, conferences to organise and away days to get into the diary. It needn’t be such a headache – there are just a few things you need to remember in order to make your 2019 events a success and to shine as an event planner and host extraordinaire.
1. Know what you want, have your list of must haves and the boxes that need to be ticked and ensure that any venue you choose ticks these. You may have to compromise on some elements but whether its food, atmosphere, private space or all-inclusive packages know what areas you aren’t prepared to settle on.
2. Site visit – always go and see the space you are about to book as you will get the true feel for a venue once you have seen it in person.
3. Be creative – if you have an idea outside of what the venue usually offers ask if it can be done as nine times out of ten it can be.
4. Don’t judge a book by its cover – don’t exclude somewhere on face value as you may be overlooking a hidden gem.
5. Don’t overcomplicate things – making your event harder work than it needs to be is no fun for anyone involved. Knowing what few key ingredients you need for your guests is what you should be focussed on.
6. Trust the experts – if in doubt outsource the search to those with venue contacts at their fingertips as they may be able to negotiate a cheaper rate or better package for you and save you the time and effort it takes to hunt down the perfect venue.