Eight in 10 adults are ‘creatures of habit’ – eating an identical breakfast every day, sticking to the same style of clothing and even insisting on using the same mug.
A study of 2,000 people found even bedtime is repetitive, with 56 per cent sleeping on the same side of the mattress every single night, while four in 10 always go to bed at the same time.
Sitting in the same spot on the sofa, refusing to order different drinks on a night out and doing an identical grocery shop week in and week out are also among the signs someone is a ‘creature of habit’.
Others always stick with their tried and trusted hairstyle, won’t change dinnertime, and listen to one playlist on repeat.
But the study, conducted by broadband specialist Hyperoptic, revealed more than half of those polled simply don’t like change, with four in 10 putting this down to taking time to adjust to new things.
And 47 per cent dislike it when they are out of their comfort zone.
It also emerged four in five adults haven’t changed their broadband provider in the past three years, while 86 per cent have also stuck with the same hair colour during this time.
The research also found more than a quarter take their car to the same garage each time they need any work doing and 23 per cent order the same meal from their favourite takeaway.
It also emerged that almost two thirds live by the phrase ‘if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it’ and 72 per cent describe themselves as loyal.
Despite this, more than half admitted they should be making more of an effort to mix things up in life and when they have made a change, a sixth felt ‘refreshed’.
But during lockdown, 44 per cent felt their routine had to change as a result of the pandemic, with 30 per cent encouraged to switch up some of their old habits.
And more than a quarter have recently realised they need to make more changes to their life – both big and small.
As a result, 26 per cent are now more likely to change their diet, 38 per cent the amount of times they dine out and 15 per cent have considered moving house after spending months staring at the same four walls.
An eighth even said they are less scared of change following lockdown, while more than two thirds have changed something in their life after realising it meant they could save money.
But the areas of life people have changed most in the last three years are insurance, energy and electricity providers.
Eight in 10 have changed a service provider – including energy, electricity and Wi-Fi – at some point in their lives with the main reason being to get a cheaper deal according to 84 per cent.
When it comes to broadband however, more than a quarter have never switched their provider, with a third putting this down to not being able to find a better option.
A fifth were concerned they wouldn’t get a better service if they changed and a tenth worried about being without connection in the meantime.
But one in six simply couldn’t be bothered to switch.
And an average of £147 a year – £12.22 a month – would need to be saved in order to move to a different service provider.
However, a sixth of those polled via OnePoll would be willing to pay more to get increased flexibility from broadband providers.
TOP 40 WAYS BRITS ARE CREATURES OF HABIT:
1. Sleep on the same side of the bed
2. Sit in the same place on the sofa
3. Have the same bedtime routine
4. Style your hair the same way
5. Go to the same hairdresser
6. Wear the same style of clothes
7. Shop at the same supermarket
8. Buy the same brand of toilet roll
9. Have the same breakfast
10. Take your car to the same garage
11. Buy the same brands of food
12. Eat dinner at the same time
13. Stick to certain clothing brands
14. Go to bed at the same time
15. Wake up at the same time everyday, regardless of an alarm
16. Use the same mug
17. Order the same drinks on a night out
18. Have drinks in the same order each day e.g. coffee then tea
19. Order the same takeaway
20. Buy the same brands of cleaning products
21. Do a grocery shop at the same time each week
22. Order the same food off a restaurant menu
23. Read the same newspaper daily
24. Eat out at the same restaurants
25. Re-watch TV shows instead of watching new ones
26. Listen to the same playlist repeatedly
27. Leave the house at the same time every day
28. Buy the same make-up brands
29. Wear the same jewellery every day
30. Use the same perfume every day
31. Have the same lunch
32. Park in the same space in the car park
33. Buy the same magazine
34. Cook the same meal on a specific day each week
35. Stick to the same gym routine whenever your are there
36. Walk your dog on the same route every day
37. Sit in the same seat on the bus/train
38. Go to the same place on holiday every year
39. Go on the same running route
40. Go to the pub on the same night every week